Pair cheese and fruit for a healthy snack or easy appetizer when entertaining. The salt in the cheese is balanced by the sweet in the fruit, and the crunch of the fruit contrasts the suppleness of the cheese. In short, your salivary glands will think they died and went to heaven.
Grapes are the most classic accompaniment, but don’t stop there. I’ve listed some pairings from around the world below and invite you to come up with more and post them on this site.
- Watermelon + Feta (Greece)
- Apricot + Stilton (England)
- Cantaloupe + Brie (France)
- Tomato + Pecorino (Italy)
- Membrillo (quince paste) + Manchego (Spain)
- Green apple + Gruyere (Switzerland)
- Avocado + Queso Fresco (Mexico)
- Fig + goat cheese (USA)
Keep in mind that ripe, sweet fruit works best, and avoid really acidic fruits like citrus. Bon appétit!