So you went ahead and splurged on a fantastic cheese and a week later you see sprigs of mold growing where you didn’t see any before. What to do? Eighty-six it, or salvage the remains? Mold has a lot to do with why some cheeses taste so great. But most molds that begin life in your fridge are not safe for consumption. Cheese can pick up mold spores from other foods in your fridge, and knowing what is safe and what is not can be the difference between getting sick and salvaging perfectly good food.
Generally speaking, if you see blue, green or white mold, slice the offending bits off, and consume the rest. If you spot any red, yellow or black mold, chances are you want to cut your losses and toss the whole thing in the bin. If you see any unusual mold on a moist, high water content cheese, you should definitely throw the whole thing out, as dangerous bacterial activity may have permeated the whole cheese. White or brown “cat hair” mold (pictured above) on high moisture cheeses is usually due to too high humidity, and can render the cheese not safe for consumption.